Things To Do Near Devonport
Known as the gateway to Tasmania, Devonport is the state’s third largest city, centrally located on the Mersey River. Our location makes it an ideal base as you discover the history, wildlife and wilderness of north-west Tasmania.
Devonport is the gateway to one of Tasmania's top attractions, Cradle Mountain - offering bushwalks over grass plains, past lakes filled with trout, and majestic moss forests and stands of native pine. Craggy mountain ridges, pristine wilderness, and hoards of scampering marsupials.
Tasmania is without doubt Australia's food capital. There are an abundant number of fresh produce markets and wineries to visit. Savour hand-crafted wine, beer and fresh produce, award-winning sparkling wine, Tasmania’s freshest oysters, rock lobster and venison.
Other attractions include the Tasmanian Lavender Farm, Devonport Golf Club, Ghost Rock Vineyard and the Tiagarra Aboriginal Culture Center and Museum.
For more information on what to do in Devonport please see one of our friendly staff members for details.
Here are some helpful links to help you plan some activities while visiting Devonport.
WeatherTasmania's weather is always cool and fresh so it's a good idea to pack warmer clothes even in the summer months.
- Summer - Dec, Jan, Feb.
Average 12-25°C (54-70°F)
- Autumn - Mar, Apr, May.
Average 9-17°C (48-63°F)
- Winter - Jun, Jul, Aug.
Average 5-15°C (41-54°F)
- Spring - Sept, Oct, Nov.
Average 8-17°C (46-63°F)
- Visit the Bureau of Meterology website for up to date Australian weather details
TransportThe Quality Hotel Gateway Inn is ideally located close to both the Devonport Airport and the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry.
- Devonport Airport - Only 10 minutes away from the hotel, Devonport Airport has full terminal facilities and services, including hire cars and shuttle buses to the towns centre.
- Spirit of Tasmania Ferry - A quick 6 minute drive away, the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry lets you travel in style with many on board facilities to keep you entertained.
|6mins drive||Ferry terminal to Melbourne|
|1hr 10min drive||Cradle Mountain|
- Bass Strait Maritime Centre - The stories and events of Bass Strait, the infamous stretch of water between mainland Australia and the island state of Tasmania, are now being told in the Bass Strait Maritime Centre, Devonport.
- The Don River Railway - See the display of steam and diesel engines and other rolling stock that has played an important part in Tasmania's rail history. Look through our Museum of historical railway artifacts and photos. Enjoy a half hour ride on a genuine vintage train.
- Discover Tasmania's North West - Tasmania’s North West has so many attractions so close to each other, the only choice you need to make it is what to do first.
- House of Anvers Chocolate Factory - Hidden away in Latrobe, Tasmania, The House of Anvers contains a real chocolate taste sensation. Take a self guided tour and see chocolatiers tempering, moulding, enrobing fine couverture chocolates, truffles, pralines, fudges and more.
- Hellyers Distillery - Recognised as a significant Burnie Tourist Attraction, Hellyers Road Distillery is the leading distiller of quality Australian Single Malt Whisky.
- Cradle Mountain - Epitomised by the jagged contours of the mountain and contrasted by the ancient rainforest, Cradle Mountain provides a wealth of environments to explore. It is also the starting point for the world famous 6-day Overland Track.
- Devils@cradle - The icon of Tasmania's World Heritage Wilderness with a range of walking tracks. An abundance of native wildlife can be seen in the Cradle area, and the night feeding tours are quite a spectacular sight.
- Devonport Golf Club - Devonport Golf Club hosts intra state and national events. It is also the home of "Woodrising", an outstanding professionally manicured 18 hole Championship Gold Course.
- Cradle To Coast Tasting Trail - Endless opportunities of ways fill your day tasting some of the finest food & beverages on offer along the North West coast of Tasmania.
- Devonport Farmers Market - Devonport Farmers Market is held at the Devonport Showgrounds on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of every month from 8:30am – 12:00pm.
- Cradle Coast Farmers Market - Come buy direct from the farmers in the paddocks, the cooks in the kitchens & the food artisans of Tasmania.